Sunday, March 6, 2011

Thanksgiving.

I have found a home.

Almost four weeks after arriving in New Zealand, I believe that I have finally unpacked for the last time. This morning, I met the wonderful family that is taking me in until the end of the semester. They have been incredibly kind and welcoming.

While the homestay situation is far superior to anything I could have hoped (I have my own bedroom/bathroom and a stunning view of the Manuku Bay), today was a difficult day. I found myself missing my own home and wishing I could simply be in the presence of those I am closest to.

In contemplating the homesickness, I realized an important thing. I have much to be thankful for. The wonderful outcome of my choice to do a homestay. The ability to my first Monday of classes since the earthquake tomorrow. Most importantly, the last month has been a month of unwavering support from those who care about me. I have been covered in prayer. My parents, friends, and boyfriend have all listened while I have processed my difficult experiences. They have had more patience with my tears and confusion than I feel I deserve.

My main thought at the moment is this: thank you. Thank you for your patience, comforting words, and listening ears. Thank you for your prayer, time, and wise advice. I could not have made it through the last month without all of you. I am incredibly blessed to be surrounded by a support system so vast and caring.

Today I attended church with my new host family. It was the first time since the earthquake and it felt right. My soul seemed to take a deep breath. At the same time, I knew almost no one. Yet I had the most important commonality with everyone there. I was reminded of God's support.

Thank you, God. Thank you, everyone.

1 comment:

  1. In the last few weeks there have been many moments that that this mom's heart has wished you could be right here with us little one...

    Think of this as a fresh new start, one with unlimited opportunities and adventures ahead because God continues to go ahead of you. Early this morning as I read your post, I thought of Isaiah 43:18-19.
    "Forget the former things! See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland."

    He has a mighty plan and you are in just the right place to watch it unfold. He wants you in Auckland. He desires you to be challenged. He knows that you're strong but need care. He loves that you're honest, vulnerable, and teachable. But most of all, He loves that you're HIS.

    Missing you - but looking a few months down the road and seeing the completion of "the new thing" that God will do in and through you. Wouldn't for anything want you to miss that!

    Love you so much!
    mom

    ReplyDelete