Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Cricket, Classes, and My "Random Family"

Just as I do every morning, I woke up and drowsily evaluated my life. In my sleepy disorientation, I was shocked to realize I have been in Auckland for nine days. The time has passed so quickly!

With the starting of classes, I have rediscovered a truth forgotten over the last few months: professors require you to spend some of your free time doing homework. The problem with this lies in New Zealand's many attractions. There are so many verdant parks, sprawling beaches, trendy shops, and quaint cafes that also deserve attention. I'm not sure inorganic chemistry will be getting the incredibly dedicated student it desires, but I'm figuring out how to juggle experiencing this country while studying a bit. I suppose my father would tell me that ultimately I did sign up for a STUDY abroad. He always is so practical. Nevertheless, I plan to have weekends spent exploring islands, attending festivals, and doing homework (small amounts, of course).

That said, my classes (called "papers" here) are going well. Entering them a few days late raised some feelings of anxiety, but after talking to lecturers, discovering I have a student email, and purchasing my books, I am feeling significantly more settled. It will be a semester full of coordination complexes, latin grammar, mythology, and war history. That means a semester full of learning! My inner nerd is delighted.

Newly realized and appreciated aspect of my homestay: I have my own bathroom. I have never had my own bathroom. Ever. It is wonderful. More than that, I have found a place where I can come home for dinner, discuss my day, learn the rules of cricket, and (ironically) watch my first complete episode of American Idol. I like to call the Millers the "random family" I was paired with. They seem to enjoy that label. I think God paired me with them for many reasons and I am excited to continue discovering my place within their family and community.

While the events in Christchurch are ever present in my mind, I am looking forward to the coming months here in Auckland. I am going to the Pasifika festival tonight (a celebration of Pacific cultures), a rugby league game on Saturday, and possibly my family's beach house in a few weeks. Life is good and definitely more stable.

I hope to never take stability for granted again. Yet I reflect on my time of chaos, I am struck by the hand of God in silently and confidently guiding me through. My mother directed me to some wonderful verses earlier this week that have been on my heart since. Isaiah 43:18-19 read:

"Forget the former things;
Do not dwell on the past.
See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the wilderness
and streams in the wasteland."


These verses bring hope for every person in any situation. God is doing a new thing and working in our lives wherever we are. My experiences here in Auckland have shown just that.










No comments:

Post a Comment