Sunday, March 27, 2011

Blown About.

As we approach the end of March, I feel incredibly blessed to have had the month I did. My experiences have been varied and sometimes difficult, but they have been mine.

This past weekend I traipsed down to Tongariro National Park to attempt the Tongariro Alpine Crossing. It is known as the best day-hike in New Zealand. Sadly enough, the weather did not cooperate and 60+ kph winds and low visibility due to rain prevented us from attempting the eight hour hike. Nevertheless, we decided to attempt a shorter and easier hike to the Tuma lakes at the base of one of the mountains.

The scenery was beautiful. The volcano featured in Lord of the Rings as Mt. Doom is situated in Tongariro and the area surrounding is filled with volcanic rock, vibrant moss, and swaying grasses. Due to the low cloud cover, Mt. Doom remained unseen during our stay, but I hope to get back and see it sometime. While we thought it would be relatively straightforward, the Tuma lakes hike turned into a rather funny adventure. As we tramped the first few hours of it and finally arrived at the first lake to eat lunch, it had been drizzling intermittently throughout the morning. Just as we were preparing for the steepest and most exposed section of the hike, gusts of intense wind and pouring rain swirled around the ridge. In the way of normal college students, we decided we could handle it and began the trek up the intense incline to the Upper Lake. I have never felt such strong winds or experienced horizontal rain. In a few short minutes, we were drenched completely through. As it made no sense to give up when our clothes, packs, and boots were already drenched, we battled up the ridge and finally made it to the summit overlooking the Upper Lake. To be honest, I didn't stay up there long. We quickly began our retreat and scurried down as quickly as we could.

The three hour tramp back to the car was filled with some more lovely scenery, water-logged hiking boots, and bouts of rain.

Overall, the hike was an adventure. It wasn't what I had planned for the weekend, but it was something I would do again. I haven't laughed as hard as I did when the horizontal rain began in a long time.

This past week was one filled with academic preparations. I have a rather busy and intense schedule this week with essays and lab reports due along with a chemistry test. When it's over, we will only have one more week to go before Fall Break (Rarotonga and the South Island here we come!).

As the time passes, I find myself missing simple things at home. I wish I could go to the cabin and sit around the fire with my extended family. I wish I could plop myself at the kitchen table and talk to my parents after dinner. I wish I could laugh about nothing with my boyfriend while we make cookies. I know I will be able to do those things again before I know it, but right now the next three months loom a bit long. I am excited for the many opportunities and experiences that lay ahead of me now, but sometimes I wish I could be home for a night or two. I wouldn't mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment