Monday, May 9, 2011

Hearts.

The more time I spend in New Zealand, the more things I love about it.

From the beautiful sunsets over Manukau Bay to the interesting people I meet at the bus stop. From the use of words like 'rubbish bin' and 'wop wops' to the craziness that is the Miller clan when they all come over for dinner.
From the kindness of my classmates when I look lost to the adorable cafes dotting every single street.

New Zealand is beautiful.

Still, the more time I spend in New Zealand, the more I realize how important the people not in New Zealand are to me.

Beautiful sunrises don't compare to a best friend.
Funny experiences aren't the same as loud family gatherings.
Interesting foods (like Barfi - look it up) can't measure up to making dinner with my boyfriend.

In saying these things, I am not wishing I were home right now. When I consider leaving New Zealand in a couple of months, it's a bittersweet thought. I have fallen in love with so much here. New Zealand is teaching me about how much a person can actually love. In some ways, I wonder if the heart is infinitely expansive.

I'm looking forward to so many things in the coming months. I have a feeling flying home will be leaving a bit of my heart here to go get the part I left in Minnesota.


2 comments:

  1. Hey all!

    My blog is acting very strange and has not allowed me to post a new entry for the last couple of weeks. I am sorry! Ha, perhaps I am flattering myself that everyone is devastated by the lack of updates from New Zealand (right...), but I really am going to try and figure out how to fix the issue! Whenever I try to sign into my profile, it immediately says redirecting and never brings me to my actual profile. It is thoroughly lamentable.

    On that happy note, I am doing well here in New Zealand! Getting excited for my family to come in a month. It's going to be an epic journey of the Lucht family. School is winding down with only this and next week left. I am not complaining. I'm booked to go to Australia after lectures finish! Great Barrier Reef here I come!

    Okay, enough of a baby update. Hopefully I can figure out how to post a new one soon and get this technical issue cleared up!

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO glad you're back blogging with us! (many join me in that feeling!) I'm busy printing things off today for those who follow you with "hard copies"!
    Love you little hobbit!
    mom

    ReplyDelete