Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snow, Snow, Snow.

In an effort to see my best friend/cousin and older brother before I set out next week, I have come to Chicago. Yes, I speak of the city that recently received around 20 inches of snow.

While the snow is accompanied by certain inconveniences (namely the inability to go anywhere), I cannot help but be struck by the strength of the natural forces around us. The weather is something too often I dismiss as predictable, manageable, and ordinary. On a day when almost two feet of snow have fallen and shut down a thriving metropolis, I can only stand in awe.

As I peek out the frosty windows at the submerged cars, single-file sidewalk paths of packed snow, and blowing flakes, all I can see is beauty in the snow as well as its effects. The pace of living has slowed on account of the billions of unique crystals that have fallen. Friends trudge through to visit and express astonishment over the snowfall. Conversation is made over mugs of hot chocolate while fresh cookies are prepared and consumed in large quantities. Homework is pushed off and adventures into the winter wonderland are instead the assignments of the night.

Though it would be unfortunate to have a delayed flight home tomorrow morning, I cannot find it in me to be angry. The snow that would limit my return to Minnesota has blessed me over the last few days. It has allowed me time with people I care about and a slowing of the hectic daily pace. Therefore, I come out of the Chicago blizzard with this thought: Snow, thank you. It has been wonderful.


No comments:

Post a Comment