Saturday, February 19, 2011

Fur Seals, Paua Shells, and Antarctic Studies

As it has been an entire week since my last post, I must preface this by saying I will certainly not be able to describe all that has happened this week. It has been difficult at times, tiring often, and fantastically fun.

The beginning of the week found me a bit melancholy. I woke up Monday missing home and those I love. The reality of the distance was settling in and while Skype is a blessing, it is not quite the same as face-to-face contact. After a relaxing run and journaling session, I put myself back together and have been much more collected since.

I realized that I often pray for God to change me. Whether that is to "grow" me as a person or simply give me more patience, I am constantly lodging requests. The issue is that when God gives me an opportunity to gain the qualities I had asked for, I want to squirm out of them. In this case, I prayed for God to grow me into the person He desires me to be. When confronted with a situation that could potentially do just that, I become scared, anxious, and uncomfortable. Goal of the week: Appreciate the blessings resident in difficulty. Relish in the ability to change and grow. Recognize that loneliness, frustration and discomfort are steps on the journey to maturation.

Valentine's Day, while never my favorite holiday, was certainly memorable. Two surprises met me: a present from my mother stowed away in secret within my suitcase and the arrival of beautiful flowers from an unbelievable boyfriend. I am blessed.

The beginning of this week was also laden with beach time. Separate visits to both the Sumner and New Brighton beaches resulted in the finding of a neat shell, fun times splashing in tidal caves, and a lovely red nose.

As a brutal reminder that I remain a student, enrollment for classes occurred Thursday. Going in, I planned on taking three classes of medium difficulty: Intermediate Latin Authors, Roman Art and Architecture, and Marine Biology. In the unpredictable way of class time offerings, conflicts arose and I ended up with an interesting schedule. Replacing Marine Biology are Conversational Maori for Absolute Beginners and Antarctic Studies: The Cold Continent. Interesting, huh?

Friday morning met us early (5:30 am) as we embarked to catch the train booked the night before (college-aged students plan ahead). I, along with six friends, was headed to Kaikoura: home to whales, dolphins, seals, and many different species of bird. The train ride brought us through mountains and to the Pacific. As we reached the ocean, the views were unbelievable. Mountains rose up from near the shore and everything seemed painted in a bright shade of blue.

Friday was spent exploring the area. A two hour voyage in sea kayaks (of which Laura and I were the slowest and constantly told to "paddle harder") resulted in sunburn, fatigue, and most importantly, the sighting of dozens of New Zealand fur seals and a few Blue Belly penguins. Fresh seafood was on the menu for dinner and I decided to take a hint from my eldest brother and order the strangest thing on the menu: Paua fritters. They are a fried mixture of egg and a mussel-like food that comes from large and colorful shells. The animal is found in abundance around the Kaikoura area. I cannot describe the taste...It was unique? Our hunger was finally sated after a trip into town to buy Hokey Pokey ice cream along with Tim Tams. We felt incredibly kiwi-ish.

Today (Saturday) brought more expeditions and adventures. We awoke early and headed out on a day hike around the Peninsula. The beginning section went along the shore (it was low tide at the time). After a somewhat terrifying run-in with a large seal, we backtracked a bit and dragged ourselves up to the top of the hills. The views were excellent and the company sustained by games of 20 questions. After a quick lunch and layout on the rocky beach, we boarded the train back into Christchurch.

It was two of the most enjoyable days I have had in a long while. The scenery was unbelievable. I can scarcely believe anything that beautiful truly exists. Kaikoura will hopefully be a place of travel for me in the future.

As I prepare for school on Monday, I am a little anxious about the amount of work, expectations, differences between school systems, etc. Nevertheless, God's tiny voice seems to constantly whisper in my ear His comfort and a gentle reminder of my prayer for growth. It seems that God does indeed listen to prayers. Who would have thought?

No comments:

Post a Comment