Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Shaky at the Moment

For those who haven't heard, the city of Christchurch was devastated by a 6.3 earthquake yesterday at 12:51 p.m. I'm still processing everything as the events of the last few days race incessantly through my mind.

Monday heralded the first day of classes at the University of Canterbury. I only had my Intermediate Latin Authors class that day (sounds like a good schedule to me) and spent the afternoon exploring the cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean at Sumner by myself. As I leaned out over the edges of the rocks, I could see the waves crashing over the rocky projections and admired the beauty of the landscape around me.

Yesterday started like a normal day. I was excited to finally begin my classes (two months off has been too much) and processed through four within the morning. Antarctic Studies, Latin, Roman Art and Architecture, and Conversational Maori all passed swiftly. Being the nerd I am, I was looking forward to buying my books and starting my homework.

The earthquake hit while I was sitting outside the lecture halls waiting for a friend. I cannot describe the experience fully. All of the sudden, I found myself standing as the buildings around me began to move in a way buildings never should. The concrete multi-level edifices swayed and groaned as the ground shook violently and made it difficult to stand. As the shaking continued, my mind was strangely blank except for two thoughts: "This is an earthquake" and "It has to stop soon." Unbelievably, the ground continued to buckle and the screams of fellow students could be heard. Around thirty seconds of chaos passed before an eerie silence and stillness settled over the area.

Students wearing expressions of panic and shock burst from the surrounding buildings. Anxious chatter was soon heard as individuals shared their experiences. I found myself in a group of Classics professors and students (ironic?) who guessed the magnitude as at least a six.
No damage was immediately visible on any of the buildings so we all processed rather calmly from the area to the field nearby, directed by men in orange vests labeled "Earthquake Remediation Team."

On the way, an intense aftershock struck and a small chunk of concrete fell from a building to my left. Fans also edged out of students' open windows and onto the lawn. Everyone began to walk more quickly. When I finally reached the open field, students and faculty were milling around nervously. After a half hour, we were told to head home as campus was being closed down until further notice. I walked back to the flats with some people in my program. It wasn't until we got there that we heard about the devastation downtown.

Reports of collapsed buildings and fatalities reached the University. The Canterbury Cathedral's spire had fallen and the roof collapsed. Two buses were crushed by falling buildings. People were trapped under the rubble of Christchurch's central business district.

In comparison with that news, our issues were minor. We weren't allowed to go into our flats until they had been checked and the power remained out for a few hours. After being let back in, we assessed the damage to our flat. The kitchen revealed fallen food and preparation items. In my own room, all of the things on my desk had been shaken onto the floor and the shelves in my closet had fallen. As a result, my floor was covered with a mix of papers, personal hygiene items, clothes, and pens. While we were inside, a series of strong aftershocks struck and we were forced to find shelter in our doorways.

In an effort allay our anxiety about being crushed by the two floors above us should the building fall, we made our way out. The aftershocks were overwhelming and scary to a few of my flatmates and we ended up sitting outside eating cookies. There's nothing like chocolate as a comfort food.

The rest of the night was spent watching the news once the power came on, discussing the shocking situation, and boiling water to drink. When it came time to go to bed, I will admit I was a bit hesitant. Aftershocks were still occurring frequently. Two of my flatmates opted to sleep in a car instead of inside. Sarah (a New Yorker) and I pulled our mattresses out into the living room and parked ourselves in front of the television.

The night passed fitfully. Four strong aftershocks rattled the apartment and waking up to shivering walls and squeaking cabinets is not conducive to sleep.

Today has been a day of watching the news and attempting to figure out plans. Water is still limited and dirty as the city's waste system was severely damaged by the quake. Liquefaction and flooding have taken over the streets. One study abroad program pulled its students out of the university this afternoon and is having them transfer to other colleges in New Zealand. Many kiwis left campus for relatives' houses or took domestic flights to other cities. Around half of those in my program left for other parts of New Zealand via the bus.

Internet service returned early this afternoon and I was able to Skype with my family and boyfriend. Seeing them was wonderful and comforting.

Our program contacted us and picked those of us remaining up in a bus. After an hour long drive and subsequent arrival at a welcoming hostel in Springfield, we have eaten an awesome dinner and have internet access.

It is difficult to accept the comforts afforded to me now when I know that there are many within the city struggling to find clean water, dry shelter, and most devastatingly, family members and friends. I feel so ineffectual. I do not know what I can do to help. I do not know if I even can stay in Christchurch this semester and help. The University is closed indefinitely and estimates place its reopening for a couple weeks out.

As I consider the timing of the quake, I am constantly reminded that I was on a bus in the city's center at 12:51 p.m. on Monday. I am lucky. There are 75 confirmed deaths and hundreds of people still missing. Only class saved me from being downtown.

Right now, I can only request prayer for those in Christchurch, all of their family and friends, and the workers laboring to free those trapped. I am fine and currently blessed with a safe place to stay, clean water, and the ability to contact those I love. I believe God is in charge, but it's difficult to see the destruction in Christchurch at the moment.

4 comments:

  1. Once again, I'm so glad you are safe!! I can only imagine how scary that would have been and will continue to be. We are still praying for you, little cousin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, thank you for sharing your experience with us in such a moving way. I can sense your feeling of helplessness and frustration at not knowing how to help the many who are affected by this tragic earthquake. Maybe prayer is the best option for now since God is good and He loves all of those people.
    With love, Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, I was so glad to hear you are okay. I know that what you're experiencing now will affect you for your whole life. I was in a Bible Study and hymn sing with the seniors at church this morning, talking about how grateful we were that God spared you. We sang "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms" and "O Love That Will Not Let Me Go" in your honor. You are loved and prayed for.

    Mike Donley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cousin Sarah, my thoughts and prayers have been with you after your Mom posted that you were caught in the earthquake. What an experience to say the least. Love from Arizona.

    ReplyDelete