Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Arrival: Stockholm.

I have arrived in Stockholm, Sweden.

Under normal circumstances, I enjoy traveling and the new places, people, and experiences that accompany it. Nevertheless this trip, while definitely including new experiences, does not rank highly on my list of most relaxing journeys.

The following is my travel schedule for the last 24 hours: a car ride to the Minneapolis airport, a 1-hour flight to Chicago, a tram to change terminals, an 8-hour flight to Stockholm-Arlanda airport, a 40 minute bus ride to Stockholm City, a 15 minute metro ride, and a short walk. When preparing for this journey, I assumed I would be tired by the end. I did not plan on being sick.

I came down with a lovely (sarcasm here, everyone) case of the stomach flu. Per usual, it conveniently reared its ugly head first in the security check line at the Minneapolis airport. For those who have not experienced something like this, I would like to draw your attention to the fact that: 1. This is not hte ideal place to bolt to a bathroom, 2. When you need to make it to your gate on time, you do not have time to get back in line, and 3. Security guards are actually very nice to sick people puking in their garbage cans. Needless to say, the next steps of my journey were less than enjoyable. I am glad to say the last bout occurred on a platform of the Stockholm metro around 12 hours ago and I am feeling much better.

The room I am renting, which I have now unofficially dubbed "The Big Yellow" due to its color scheme, is very cute and my land lady has been lovely. She even made me tea when she heard I was feeling poorly! Everything is unpacked and as always, I have brought too many clothes for a month. Someday I will learn...

Now that the worst (I hope) is behind me, I am excited about being in Stockholm. I will be here for the next month researching at Karolinska Institute in the Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics. With a post-doc researcher here, I will be working on her research in psychiatric genetics, specifically schizophrenia. I am very excited about gaining first hand experience working in epidemiology. Considering that I have applied to graduate schools in this field, I am hoping that I like it! I certainly have a lot to learn and I have a great feeling about this month.

While the research aspect of this opportunity is important, I am also hoping to connect with a few friends in Europe and learn more about my Swedish heritage! Grandpa Gunberg always refers to Sweden as the "Homeland" and I am hoping to understand my own Swedish roots better while concurrently exploring modern Sweden.

Tomorrow is my first day at Karolinska.

Here's to new adventures, new friendships, and new life lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment