Thursday, January 17, 2013

Advice.

During my lifetime, many people have given me advice.

My grandmother regularly tells me to "be good, be kind, and don't do dumb things."

My 6th grade teacher once cried at my conference telling me to continue in my education. It was strange.

My mother has always encouraged me to listen in on conversations in Spanish at the grocery store because you never know when you'll hear something interesting.

These examples may be a little silly (though that does not negate their legitimacy), but since being in Sweden I have received a great amount of advice. Perhaps this arises from my undecided future. I am in the process of hearing back from around 10 fellowship programs, graduate schools, and research position applications. Next year I could end up in Iceland, Seattle, North Carolina, the U.K., Minneapolis, Munich, or Boston. Truthfully, I can't tell you which one.

This relative lack of answer to the ubiquitous question of, "Oh, what are you doing after graduation?" has led me to reflect on how readily we give our opinions and consider how often I actually take the advice offered.

Advice itself is somewhat neutral. Yes, I will admit that there exists 'bad' advice and that sometimes people like to pretend they are knowledgeable in areas they know nothing about. But the power in words is how they can spur or prevent action. Advice means nothing if the person receiving it dismisses it. It is when we critically consider advice that it changes us.

My current situation has me thinking on this topic because for the first time I believe I may have found a niche for myself in the academic world. I love what I'm researching and the possibility of becoming an epidemiologist is exciting for me. I am fascinated by investigating potential links between psychiatric disorders and birthweight or connections between common genetic variation and the development of autism. Being in an environment where fellow researchers thrive off pursuing this topics is invigorating and wonderful. Yet the pathways my co-workers have taken to reach this field are many.

As these last few weeks have flown by, the range of advice I have received reflects this diversity in background. I have been advised to take a year off (or two or three) and to travel the world. To consider critically the role a husband and family play into my future and career path. To apply to many things and to be choosy. To follow my heart. To be willing to try something adventurous and challenging. To get a paying job. To be careful with my time and to be generous with my heart. To be careful with my heart and generous with my time.

I am coming to realize that this early-20s phase is a confusing time. It's the age when people start getting married, go on to graduate studies, get full time jobs, or maybe do a combination of these. This is the time when people start thinking (I hope) about what kind of adults they want to be and what kind of role in society they want to play.

So to the people who are giving me advice, thank you. While I may not always take it, I appreciate it. While I may not currently seem like I am appreciating it, I probably will in the future. The advice you give challenges me. It helps me consider what I truly want after graduation from college and to realize it probably won't go as I plan. Most importantly, your life experiences open my eyes to the myriad of possibilities open to me as I go forward.

Because isn't that the purpose of advice? We pass down the lessons we hold most dear in the hope that the next generation learns from them.

Right now, I'm just trying to learn.

Nevertheless, I can't help but wonder if Granny had it right from the beginning. Life would be better for everyone if we all were nice, were good, and didn't do dumb things.





No comments:

Post a Comment