Sunday, April 3, 2011

Trust.

Being here as taught me a lot about myself. It has shown me that I am able to be independent in ways I never have been before. It has helped me to appreciate the wonderfully supportive group of friends and family who care about me. It has challenged my constant desire to be in control.

New Zealand has made me think.

More importantly for me this week, New Zealand is making me learn how to trust.

I like to control the areas of my life. I enjoy knowing exactly what is required of me, when it will be required, and what I need to do to succeed.

Life doesn't work out like that sometimes. Sometimes no matter how much I try to be joyful or excited, I find myself missing home. No matter how many times I thank God that I am blessed with such a wonderful homestay situation and group of new friends, I end up wishing for the family and friends I have known for years.

I have been dealing with that this week. I have had many unique and funny experiences including trying out the Mexican restaurant here in Auckland - not real Mexican, taking the ferry to Waiheke Island and spending the day on the beach & wine tasting at vineyards, and making it through a challenging school week.

At the same time, my mind seems to be at home. I wish I could get a hug from a few people and then I think I'd be set again for a few months. I know that study abroad is meant to be challenging and stretching, but I always seem to forget that those things come with hurt alongside the growth.

God is good and He is teaching me about trust. When I have felt those "down" moments in the last week or been frustrated with long-distance relationships, He is constantly reminding me of His goodness and desire for me to be here for the next three months. He has a plan. He is in control.

I simply have to trust.

I wish it were simple.

At the moment, I know these things: God is shaping me. While my heart wants to be here and at home, God has a plan better than any I can imagine.

It all comes down to trust.


1 comment:

  1. You are wise, my young padawan! Seriously, it sounds like you are really getting closer to God through both the good and the hard parts of this experience. You'll remember it for the rest of your life! I'm praying for you/with you.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete