Monday, January 24, 2011

Same-Sex Areas?

I recently filled out a form for my housing in New Zealand. One checkbox read, "Same-sex area required?" Thinking this was referencing the presence of a singular gender per floor, I checked "No."

Upon reflection, I have no idea what "Same-sex area" means. Will I have a flatmate of the opposite gender? Will I share a room with a guy? Where will I change? Will I have to fall asleep to snoring? What if he doesn't bathe regularly? What if he enjoys listening to death metal or never leaves the room due to a video game addiction?

Unfortunately, all of these thoughts hit me a few seconds after I had clicked the "Submit Form" button. The concerns were exacerbated after hearing a few hours later that a friend's brother had a female roommate during his study abroad in Australia.

Interesting, huh?

After some prayer, I realized an important thing: this is the beginning of the adventure.

It may be one filled with smelly socks, rugby games, and whatever else boys in New Zealand enjoy, but it will be my adventure.




1 comment:

  1. Haha!! This made me laugh for sure. But what in the world? That is a really weird way to word it if it is indeed asking if you would prefer to have a roommate of the same sex. But you're right--God is totally in control of the roommate situation. Or "flatmate", as we obviously also called it in Oxford. :) God sure knew what he was doing when he put Kimmy and me together as roommates. I think we were the only 2 committed Christians studying with our program and we are still great friends now, years later! We were also the only girls among four guys who lived in our flat, and that worked out just fine. Glad we didn't share a room with them, though!

    ReplyDelete