Sunday, January 23, 2011

Blessings aplenty.

I am blessed.

Too often I overlook the undeserved gifts around me. I have wonderfully supportive people in my life who care about me and enjoy (or at least pretend to enjoy) my quirky sense of humor. I attend a challenging college where I am involved in a strong community. I have the financial means to travel across the world for an extended period of time. Most importantly, I am loved inexplicably and intimately by a God in a way beyond my comprehension. To forget these blessings is to give into my natural tendency: to focus on what I see as insufficiencies instead of being grateful for the plenty.

With a long trip looming less than three weeks away, a new goal has arisen in my mind: to live each day in gratitude.

Whether I am facing difficulties certain to arise or passing through experiences easily, I intend to live each day cognizant of the blessings in my life. A wise person told me this morning that adventures are simply inconveniences viewed in a different light. I desire to attune my mind's lenses to that light. I desire to appreciate the small blessings. I desire to see God everyday in the little things of life.

New Zealand, here I come. I am a young traveler prepared to be challenged, confused, and grown.

I am blessed.




2 comments:

  1. Oooh, I'm excited to follow your blog! If you send me your email, I can send you an invite to actually view ours too if you want...otherwise I'll just continue to leave phantom comments. :) Love you, cousin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sar! So glad you are doing this - it will be fun to follow along with your adventures the next few months. You are an amazing "penner of words" little girl - so fun!
    love you!

    ReplyDelete